Whenever a friend or relative was ailing, my mother-in-law would bake some fresh custard and take it along when she visited. Because she brought folks this special treat so often, our family began calling it "get-well" custard!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- Ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk in sugar, salt and vanilla. Warm
- milk; slowly add to egg mixture. Pour through a strainer into a
- 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place baking dish
- in a larger pan. Fill a larger pan with hot water to 1 in. Bake at
- 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. (This is a very soft custard and will giggle even
- after chilling.) Cool to room temperature. Chill until serving.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 6 g protein.