Get Up & Go Muffins Recipe
I created this recipe by trial and error. I've only had one outstanding bran muffin at a restaurant, and wanted to come up with a awesome one to make myself. These are moist, healthy, not too sweet and so tasty! Full of grains and fruits.Nancy, Rens, Prescott, Arizona
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place bran flakes and water in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce, egg, molasses and bran mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the blueberries, plums and almonds. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Drizzle with honey.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Get Up & Go Muffins in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p193
Reviews for Get Up & Go Muffins(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review