German Vegetable Soup Recipe
My sister-in-law gave me this recipe—it's a nice thick soup. It does call for quite a few ingredients, but the taste is worth it!—Gundrun Braker, Burnett, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato or vegetable juice
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Dissolve bouillon in water; add to the beef mixture. Add the salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, tomato juice, celery, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and green pepper.
- 3. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the corn, peas and beans; heat through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC