German-Style Short Ribs Recipe
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add ribs and turn to coat. Top with onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs from slow cooker. Skim fat from cooking juices; serve with ribs and noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for German-Style Short Ribs
Sort By :
"Excellent! I made the full recipe, even though there are only two of us, anticipating great leftovers. We weren't disappointed; the ribs were even better a day or two later. Next time I will increase the amount of tapioca for a thicker gravy."
"Great recipe, I've made this several times and my husband and I love them! Would make for company it's so good."
"This is phenomenal !!! This is what you want to make to impress someone! We make this time and time again. Just set it and forget it!"
"Tender and delicious. Great change from my regular dishes. I will definitely make them again."
"I was very pleased with this recipe. I thickened the broth with a little cornstarch, and the result was a wonderfully flavorful gravy that had some barbeque undertones. It was a little sweet with both the chutney and brown sugar, so next time I plan to reduce the sugar. Yum!"