- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add ribs and turn to coat. Top with onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs from slow cooker. Skim fat from cooking juices; serve with ribs and noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for German-Style Short Ribs
Sort By :
"I followed this recipe as written. It was amazing! The sauce is divine and the meat was super tender. I served the ribs over egg noodles."
"Excellent recipe! The meat was so flavorful, moist and tender. As it cooks it makes quite a bit of juice, which has a wonderful flavor. The only change I will make next time is to increase the amount of tapioca for a thicker gravy. My husband said of all the many recipes I've tried on him this one is definitely a keeper!"
"Excellent! I made the full recipe, even though there are only two of us, anticipating great leftovers. I cut the vinegar and brown sugar to 1 tbsp. each and added a little extra wine to compensate. We weren't disappointed; the ribs were even better a day or two later. I increased the amount of tapioca for a thicker gravy; 1/4 cup was just right."
"Great recipe, I've made this several times and my husband and I love them! Would make for company it's so good."