German-Style Pickled Eggs Recipe
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Cool completely. Place onions and eggs in a large jar; add enough vinegar mixture to completely cover. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Use a clean spoon each time you remove eggs for serving. Refrigerate up to 1 week. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 166 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 212mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for German-Style Pickled Eggs
"these are the first pickled eggs I have ever tasted or made, so I did not really know what to expect. They are very easy, and I think would also be great sliced on a salad, or tea sandwiches. I think that next time I may kick up the spice a wee bit, perhaps add a bit of red pepper flakes. My cloves were not the freshest, so that could be the reason they were more mild than expected."