German-Style Pickled Eggs Recipe
I make them these deviled eggs and refrigerate them in a glass gallon jar for my husband to sell at his tavern. The customers love them! I found the recipe in an old cookbook years ago. —Marjorie Hennig, Green Valley, Arizona
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Cool completely. Place onions and eggs in a large jar; add enough vinegar mixture to completely cover. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Use a clean spoon each time you remove eggs for serving. Refrigerate up to 1 week. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 166 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 212 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC