German-Style Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Comforting and filling, these tangy potatoes will warm up any meal, especially one with a German flair. They’re a fitting accompaniment to sausages like bratwurst. —Alena Horn, Austin, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add apples; cook 10 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions until lightly browned.
- 3. Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar and salt; mash slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with onions and bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC