Comforting and filling, these tangy potatoes will warm up any meal, especially one with a German flair. They’re a fitting accompaniment to sausages like bratwurst. —Alena Horn, Austin, Texas
Recommended: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add apples; cook 10 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions until lightly browned.
- Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar and salt; mash slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with onions and bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as German-Style Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p29
Reviews for German-Style Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2012
"Made these today for hubby and myself! We love German foods and these are very good! The German potato salad taste shines through! We'll be cooking these up alot!!"
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2010