German-Style Kielbasa and Noodles Recipe
- 5-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- 1. Place coleslaw mix in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- 2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute kielbasa and onion in butter until onion is tender. Add the coleslaw mix, sugar and pepper; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Stir in poppy seeds if desired. Drain noodles; serve with cabbage mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups kielbasa mixture with 3/4 cup noodles (prepared with smoked turkey kielbasa and reduced-fat butter) equals 369 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 2,442 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer