German-Style Cabbage and Beans Recipe
This is one of my greatest hits as a potluck dish at church suppers. If you use some red cabbage, it will have very festive colors, light pink with green. It looks so pretty.—Winifred Winch, Wetmore, Michigan
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and pepper to the drippings. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Add cabbage. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 87 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC