- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and pepper to the drippings. Bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as German-Style Cabbage and Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p236
Reviews for German-Style Cabbage and Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2011
"Incredibly delicious!! The BEST bean recipe I have ever made and/or tasted. Pairs well with Cran-Orange Pork Tenderloin."