German-Style Beef Roast
“My grandmother used to make this, and I adapted it for my slow cooker.” You’ll love its convenience and great taste. —Lois Stanley, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with pepper. Place onion and roast in a
- 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the beer, ketchup and
- brown sugar; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or
- until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
- juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with roast. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy equals 376 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 382 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 36 g protein.