German Sour Cream Twists Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in the egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Place three ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
- 2. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over a clean work surface. On the sugared surface, roll half of dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle (refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use). Sprinkle rectangle with 4 teaspoons sugar; fold into thirds.
- 3. Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 1-in.-wide strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar and dough.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 5. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and cream. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 twist equals 292 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.