German Sour Cream Twists Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in the egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Place three ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over a clean work surface. On the sugared surface, roll half of dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle (refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use). Sprinkle rectangle with 4 teaspoons sugar; fold into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 1-in.-wide strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar and dough.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and cream. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists. Yield: 2 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for German Sour Cream Twists(8)
Sort By :
Thanks for this recipe - it was a definite hit! Made it with colored sugar for a kids party (read...fairy wands!) Has anyone tried it with cinnamon and brown sugar?
I recently made these twists and they were delicious! They do require time but the flavor and flakiness is totally worth it! I'll be making these again!
These were a little time consuming, but well worth it! I would definitely make these again.
how do you exactly make the "twists" appear? The second batch looks better than the first, but mostly they just look "layered".
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- German Desserts >
- German Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >