Sauerkraut lovers enjoy hearty helpings of this dish. I've been preparing this recipe for more than 20 years...we have yet to tire of it!Peggy Heitzman, Geneseo, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a skillet, melt butter. Layer with sauerkraut, rice, onion and
- beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine water and
- tomato sauce; mix well. Pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is no
- longer pink and rice is tender (do not stir). Yield: 8 servings.
Caraway and apples are natural companions to sauerkraut. So serve German Skillet with caraway rye bread and fresh apple slices.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 295 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,323 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.