German Skillet Recipe
Sauerkraut lovers enjoy hearty helpings of this dish. I've been preparing this recipe for more than 20 years...we have yet to tire of it!—Peggy Heitzman, Geneseo, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. In a skillet, melt butter. Layer with sauerkraut, rice, onion and beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine water and tomato sauce; mix well. Pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and rice is tender (do not stir). Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 295 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,323 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC