German Skillet Meal
This was a quick, favorite meal when my children were growing up. I've entered my recipes in several contests and have won firstand second-place prizes.Helen Phillips, Greensburg, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a skillet, cook ground beef and onion until the beef is browned
- and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in rice, tomato sauce,
- sauerkraut, caraway seeds, water, pepper, and salt if desired. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until
- the rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 663 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.