- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a skillet, melt butter. Layer with sauerkraut, rice, onion and beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine water and tomato sauce; mix well. Pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and rice is tender (do not stir). Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for German Skillet
Sort By :
"this is fantastic. if you like sauerkraut, you have to make this. i did not change recipe at all except to reduce ingredients slightly as i am single."
"OMGosh, I use to make this dish 20 plus years ago and lost the recipe. I'm so very happy to have found it again, it's absolutely WONDERFUL!!"