German Sauerbraten Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 16 cookies)
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown pork in oil. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in gingersnap crumbs; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until stew is thickened and pork is tender. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 215 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for German Sauerbraten Stew
"How and where is this Sauerbraten. Where did you sour anything? Sauerbraten is typically made with a tough cut of beef or in the Ruhr with horse meat and then soured in a wine vinegar and red wine brine for about 3 days! Using gingersnaps does not a Sauerbraten make!"