German Sauerbraten Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 16 cookies)
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown pork in oil. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in gingersnap crumbs; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until stew is thickened and pork is tender. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 215 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein .
Reviews for German Sauerbraten Stew
"How and where is this Sauerbraten. Where did you sour anything? Sauerbraten is typically made with a tough cut of beef or in the Ruhr with horse meat and then soured in a wine vinegar and red wine brine for about 3 days! Using gingersnaps does not a Sauerbraten make!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer