Our family loves it when Mom prepares this wonderful old-world dish. The tender beef has a bold blend of mouthwatering seasonings. It smells so good in the oven and tastes even better—Cathy Eland, Highttown, New Jersey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 medium onions, sliced, divided
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices, divided
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns, divided
- 8 whole cloves, divided
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 to 16 gingersnaps, crushed
- In a small bowl, combine salt and ginger; rub over roast. Place in a deep glass bowl. In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar and sugar. Pour half of marinade into a large saucepan; add half of the onions, pickling spices, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Pour over roast; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, turning twice a day.
- To the remaining marinade, add the remaining onions, pickling spices, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and discard marinade from roast; pat roast dry. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Pour 1 cup of reserved marinade with all of the onions and seasonings over roast (cover and refrigerate remaining marinade). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Strain cooking juices, discarding onions and seasonings. Add enough reserved marinade to the cooking juices to measure 3 cups. Pour into a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add gingersnaps; reduce heat and simmer until gravy is thickened. Slice roast and serve with gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as German Sauerbraten in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p35
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for German Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review