German Rye Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 cups rye flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a 4-qt. glass bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water; whisk in rye flour until smooth. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel. Let stand in a warm place for about 4 hours or until batter falls about 1 in. and surface bubble activity is reduced. Stir in the sugar, caraway seeds, salt, 5 cups all-purpose flour and remaining water; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into four portions. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Shape into four round loaves, about 6 in. each. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cornmeal. Place loaves on pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of each loaf. Brush with egg. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 teaspoon caraway seeds. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes, rotating pans after 15 minutes, or until browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (8 slices each).
1 slice: 136 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for German Rye Bread
"I tried it last week. I made it into two loaves and they came out GREAT !!!Thanks"