- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook and stir apple and onion over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or refrigerate, covered, and serve cold. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for German Red Cabbage
"This was delicious!"
"Made this recently for company and it was really good. I made it using the food processor for cabbage, onion and apples. I did substitute apple cider vinegar as that was what I had. Served it warm as a side dish of baby back ribs along with a green salad Yummy"
"Served this at Christmas with a stuffed pork loin, was delish! Enjoyed as is..."
"Added another 1/3 cup red wine vinegar. Will use an additional apple next time."
"Next time I'll use red wine vinegar instead of white to give it extra zip!"
"I too made this with Splenda as that is what my recipe called for. The picture & all other ingredients were the same. Loved it."
"This was my first time making red cabbage, and it was fantastic. I've had it several times and substitute splenda for the sugar. It's great."