German Potato Salad
I'd always loved my German grandmother's potato salad. So when I married a potato farmerand had spuds in abundanceI played with several recipes that sounded similar and came up with this salad that reminds me of hers. Sue Hartman, Parma, Idaho
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 5 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 cups sliced cooked peeled potatoes
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp; remove and set aside.
- Drain all but 2-3 tablespoons of drippings; cook onion until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Add water and
- vinegar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved. Crumble bacon; gently stir in bacon
- and potatoes. Heat through, stirring lightly to coat potatoes. Serve
- warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 119 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.