- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon Strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Saute onion in drippings for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook until lightly browned. Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, sauerkraut, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for German Potato Salad with Sausage
"I made this using leftover bacon (yes that's a real thing at my house) and in a hurry, so I added my reserved bacon grease directly to the crockpot, then sausage and onion. Instead of rinsing and draining all the flavor off the sauerkraut, I left the juice in and omitted the water and salt from the recipe. Since I wasn't pre-browning the potatoes, I tossed the cut pieces with the soup mixture (so they wouldn't stick together) before adding that to the crockpot. Finally, I saved the bacon to top the potato salad at the end, so it stayed crispy.This was delicious and is on our list of recipes to repeat."
"This was so good i went by the recipe it came out great!"
"This is very good. My family loved it and I didn't have any leftovers."
"This is in the crockpot right now...can't wait till supper time! The only thing I did different was added a bit of caraway seed. Oh wait, reading down I see someone suggest adding a few carrots...gotta go!"
"This is really good and easy. I added extra sauerkraut and it was fantastic. Otherwise, kept everything else the same and the family loved it."
"Simple to prepare and so delicious! I love sauerkraut so I add extra and don't rinse it in order to get a tangier flavor. I add extra bacon as well. A terrific main dish on it's own, leftovers can be used as a side dish. This is a wonderful, hearty one dish meal that's excellent in the fall and winter."
"I found this very easy to put together, not too expensive to make. No leftovers :( Well I guess I'll have to make this again! In the recipe box it goes."
"This is just the type of food to make my hubby glad to come home. I am going to add some carrot chunks next time just to play a little. I made it with my homemade kraut so I doubled the recipe from the soup down since my kraut is in quart cans. Worked great. Thank you to the author!"
"This will be my go to recipe for German potato salad. It uses less sugar and tastes better than other recipes I've tried. Did I mention the aroma is wonderful?"
"Good, but could be improved. I found it too soupy and had to drain a lot of liquid off. And the sodium level is through the roof thanks to the processed soup. It's good. It just needs tweaking."