German Potato Salad with Sausage Recipe
Hearty and saucy, this potato salad is an old family recipe that wasupdated using cream of potato soup to ease preparation. The sausage, and sauerkraut give it a special zip.—Teresa McGill, Trotwood, Ohio
- 8 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Saute onion in drippings for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook until lightly browned. Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer sausage mixture to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, sauerkraut, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 674 calories, 44 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 1,643 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC