German Potato Salad with Eggs
This recipe has been in my family for over 100 years! At family get-togethers, it never fails to please.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 to 14 red potatoes (about 4 pounds), cooked and peeled
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Slice potatoes into a large bowl. Add eggs; set aside. In a small
- skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving
- 3 tablespoons drippings. Add bacon and onion to potato mixture. Add
- remaining ingredients to the drippings; cook and stir until slightly
- thickened. Pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 213 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,017 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.