German Potato Salad for a Crowd Recipe
A dear German friend gave me this recipe. I take this satisfying potato salad to gatherings all year-round. The seasonings give a traditional potato salad enticing flavor.—Donna Cline, Pensacola, Florida
- 12 medium potatoes
- 12 bacon strips
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Peel and slice into a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 3. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the next six ingredients. Gradually stir in water and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until thickened. Pour over potatoes; toss to coat. Crumble bacon and gently stir into potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 244 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC