German Potato Dumplings Recipe
Potato dumplings (called Kartoffel Kloesse in Germany) are a delightful addition to any German feast. The browned butter sauce is delectable.Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 10), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
- BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into sixteen (2-in.) balls.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potato Dumplings in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p232
Reviews for German Potato Dumplings(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2012
These dumplings have great flavor and texture and are the perfect fall comfort food.
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2010
These are like my mother made, the only thing we did different, was to make a white horseradish sauce to put on them.