German Potato Dumplings Recipe
Potato dumplings (called Kartoffel Kloesse in Germany) are a delightful addition to any German feast. The browned butter sauce is delectable.—Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 10), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
- BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. Mash potatoes. Stir in flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into sixteen (2-in.) balls.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings. Yield: 8 servings.
2 dumplings with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 367 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC