Potato dumplings (called Kartoffel Kloesse in Germany) are a delightful addition to any German feast. The browned butter sauce is delectable.—Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 10), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
- BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into sixteen (2-in.) balls.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potato Dumplings in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p232
Reviews for German Potato Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review