German Potato Dumplings Recipe
Potato dumplings (called Kartoffel Kloesse in Germany) are a delightful addition to any German feast. The browned butter sauce is delectable.Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
- 10 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
- BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Stir in the flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into 2-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, cook butter and onion over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown. Stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Potato Dumplings in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p232
Reviews for German Potato Dumplings(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2012
These dumplings have great flavor and texture and are the perfect fall comfort food.
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2010
These are like my mother made, the only thing we did different, was to make a white horseradish sauce to put on them.