German Potato Casserole Recipe
I bring this dish to an annual Oktoberfest party. Everyone likes it, which ensures our invitation back year after year. There are never any leftovers to bring home. -Dara Luburgh, Sparta, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16-20 servings
- 5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 3. In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes, bacon, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and reserved bacon drippings; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- 4. Divide half of the mixture between one greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and one 9-in. square baking dish. Top with half of the cheese cubes. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 355 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 587 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC