I bring this dish to an annual Oktoberfest party. Everyone likes it, which ensures our invitation back year after year. There are never any leftovers to bring home. -Dara Luburgh, Sparta, New Jersey
- 5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 8 hard-cooked large eggs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes, bacon, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and reserved bacon drippings; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Divide half of the mixture between one greased 13x9-in. baking dish and one 9-in. square baking dish. Top with half of the cheese cubes. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as German Potato Casserole in Reminisce January/February 2003, p48
Reviews for German Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review