German Potato Balls Recipe
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Peel and grate potatoes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup flour, bread crumbs, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add potatoes; mix with hands until well blended. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in remaining flour.
- 3. In a large kettle, bring salted water to a boil. Add the dumplings, a few at a time, to boiling water. Simmer, uncovered, until the dumplings rise to the top; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 190 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for German Potato Balls
"These are the best dumplings. Perfect with the Sauerbraten recipe."