German Potato Balls Recipe
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Peel and grate potatoes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup flour, bread crumbs, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add potatoes; mix with hands until well blended. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in remaining flour.
- 3. In a large kettle, bring salted water to a boil. Add the dumplings, a few at a time, to boiling water. Simmer, uncovered, until the dumplings rise to the top; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 190 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for German Potato Balls
"These are the best dumplings. Perfect with the Sauerbraten recipe."