I was a high school student when I received this recipe from my friend’s mom, who is German. She often made these chops for us after church on Sunday. Forty years later, I still love them. —Roberta Byers, Chaffee, Missouri
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork chops in butter on both sides. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the sauerkraut, applesauce, onion, garlic, brown sugar, caraway seeds and cinnamon. Spoon over chops.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Sauerkraut in Country Extra January 2009, p51
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for German Pork Chops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review