- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, baking soda and cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cream, corn syrup, honey and extracts. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pfeffernuesse in Country Extra March 2002, p37
Reviews for German Pfeffernuesse
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review