"THIS WAS one of our favorite main dishes. Since we raised our own pork and beef, the meat we used was always freshly ground. For variety, these meatballs can be cooked with a sweet cream gravy or steamed with tomatoesbut we prefer them with homemade sauerkraut."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water, optional
- Additional snipped parsley
- In a bowl, combine first 10 ingredients; shape into 18 meatballs, 2
- in. each. Heat the oil in a skillet; brown the meatballs. Remove
- meatballs and drain fat. Spoon sauerkraut into skillet; top with
- meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Add water if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 376 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 1,636 mg sodium,