- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed gingersnaps (about 10 cookies)
- Cooked noodles
- Combine the egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup water, onion, salt and pepper; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, bring remaining water to a boil. Add bouillon, brown sugar, raisins, lemon juice and gingersnaps. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add meatballs to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir occasionally. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as German Meatballs in Reminisce July/August 1991, p37
Reviews for German Meatballs with Gingersnap Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2014
"Excellent!!! Wonderful different tasting gravy!"