German Hot Noodle Salad Recipe
Here's a tasty take-off on German potato salad. It's flavored like the traditional side dish but uses noodles in place of potatoes. I always loved my mother's German potato salad, but once she served this noodle salad instead, I was hooked. —Gordon Kremer, Sacramento, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the sugar, flour, salt and mustard; add water and vinegar until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Rinse and drain noodles; add to skillet. Stir in celery and parsley; heat through. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 198 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC