German Deli Pizza Recipe
- 2/3 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In bread machine pan, place dough ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch dough down; roll into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 4. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, saute chopped onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add evaporated milk and mustard. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Spread over crust. Top with sliced onion, ham and cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned. Yield: 6 slices.
1 slice: 330 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for German Deli Pizza
"So delicious!! I love the crust and the sauce! I make it at least once every couple of months."
"This was tasty (and totally unlike any pizza I've ever tried before). Loved the tang of mustard in the sauce! I subbed prosciutto for the ham and used a pre-baked crust."
"Made this pizza and loved it! I like the fact that it is not traditional 'tomato base' pizza recipe. I will defiantly make it again!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer