- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pretzels, egg and butter. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and corn syrup until blended. Fold in coconut, chips and pecans; pour over crust. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until edges are brown and center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for German Chocolate with Pretzel Crust Bars
"People rave over these bars when I make them....so delicious!"
"These were tasty however mine came out very, very gooey. I baked them as directed by the recipe but I don't think they really ever set up. I like all the flavors together, but am disappointed that they seemed very under-baked. They don't look that runny in the photo so I'm assuming they're not supposed to be. I may try to make them one more time and bake them even longer and just hope they firm up more but don't burn!"
"These were good, but over the top sweet for me. I think it was the butterscotch chips that threw it over the edge for me. I'd prefer to just make Hello Dolly's. I like them a lot more."
"These are great! My husband loved them and I am making the second batch in one week. I thought they might be too gooey when they came out of the oven, but after they cooled they were firmer and they disappeared in a wink!"
"These were FABULOUS!!! I got nothing but compliments on them! The only thing different I did was use crushed graham cracker instead of the crushed pretzels. This recipe is an absolute must keep!!!!"
"Can I give it six stars? SO good! I can already see I will have to make one or two more batches of this one for the holiday season."