German Chocolate Sundaes
"This terrific topping is a real treat over chocolate ice cream," writes field editor DeEtta Rasmussen of Fort Madison, Iowa. "It's fun and fancy at the same time and much cooler to make on hot days than a German chocolate cake."
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate ice cream
- Chocolate syrup, toasted coconut and additional Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Stir
- until sauce is cooled slightly. Serve over ice cream. Top with
- chocolate syrup, coconut and pecans if desired. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 180 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.