"This terrific topping is a real treat over chocolate ice cream," writes field editor DeEtta Rasmussen of Fort Madison, Iowa. "It's fun and fancy at the same time and much cooler to make on hot days than a German chocolate cake."
Recommended: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate ice cream
- Chocolate syrup and additional coconut and pecans, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Stir until sauce is cooled slightly. Serve over ice cream. Top with chocolate syrup, coconut and pecans if desired. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as German Chocolate Sundaes in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p8
Reviews for German Chocolate Sundaes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review