- For filling, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until
- smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and
- cornstarch. Whisk in whole milk. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Pour into crust.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and
- butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture just comes
- to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return
- all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and
- stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Pour
- over filling.
- Cool pie 30 minutes on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, until cold,
- at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 549 calories, 34 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.