German Chocolate Pie
This chocolate pie has been a holiday tradition in our family for generations, and it's just as popular now as when my grandmother made it years ago!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a saucepan, combine chocolate and butter. Melt over low heat.
- Remove from the heat and blend in milk; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Beat in eggs and
- vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate; pour into pie shell. Combine
- coconut and pecans; sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 471 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.