German Chocolate Ice Cream
I found this recipe years ago and have been taking it to ice cream socials ever since. But you won't want to wait for a get-together to enjoy it. The cool combination of chocolate, coconut and pecans is delicious anytime.
-Peggy Key, Grant, Alabama
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and
- salt. Gradually add milk and eggs; stir until smooth. Cook and stir
- over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal
- spoon and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to
- manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until
- ready to freeze. Remove ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 1 gallon.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 162 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium,