- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Grease and flour three 8-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, mayonnaise and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Beat chilled cream mixture until soft peaks form. Spread over sides of cake. Drizzle fudge topping over cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for German Chocolate Dream Cake
Sort By :
"This is a 'dream' cake! I must admit I cheated and purchased a can of carmel pecan frosting to save time on preparing the filling. Followed the directions exactly for the cake and chocolate. To my surprise, even with the addition of mayonnaise the cake was surprising light and not dense. The rich chocolate not only tasted wonderful but made the cake look spectacular!"