- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Grease and flour three 8-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, mayonnaise and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Beat chilled cream mixture until soft peaks form. Spread over sides of cake. Drizzle fudge topping over cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as German Chocolate Dream Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p48
Reviews for German Chocolate Dream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review