- 1 package German Chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan.
- Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for German Chocolate Cheesecake
"I created an account just to review this! I followed every step of this but bought the frosting from the store since I'm lazy, and it was a huge success!!! I made it for my husband and the in laws for my husband's birthday and everyone loved it. By the way, it was done at 60 minutes so I suggest people check the center with a fork or toothpick at 55 or 60 minutes. I was nervous the cake part would come out soggy but it was perfect."
"I would do everything like the recipe except I would spread the cream cheese filling between the cake after it is cooled"
"I bought this for $12.00 and thought that was quite the bargain...It is very rich, but oh so good...BTW she made it in a disposable 9x13 and it was a perfect fit..."
"This was wonderful but it does not do well in a 13x9. It would look better in a smaller pan- the chocolate is impossible to halve and cover the bottom."
"This has become everyone's favorite birthday cake, and I find that I judge all other cheesecakes or german chocolate cakes against this. It's fantastic."