German Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
"My daughter requests this as her birthday cake, and I take it to potlucks, church dinners or any time the dessert is my responsibility," says Kathy Johnson of Lake City, South Dakota.
- 1 package German Chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- 2. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 4. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- 5. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC