German Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
- 1 package German Chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- 2. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 4. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- 5. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for German Chocolate Cheesecake
"I created an account just to review this! I followed every step of this but bought the frosting from the store since I'm lazy, and it was a huge success!!! I made it for my husband and the in laws for my husband's birthday and everyone loved it. By the way, it was done at 60 minutes so I suggest people check the center with a fork or toothpick at 55 or 60 minutes. I was nervous the cake part would come out soggy but it was perfect."
"I would do everything like the recipe except I would spread the cream cheese filling between the cake after it is cooled"
"I bought this for $12.00 and thought that was quite the bargain...It is very rich, but oh so good...BTW she made it in a disposable 9x13 and it was a perfect fit..."
"This was wonderful but it does not do well in a 13x9. It would look better in a smaller pan- the chocolate is impossible to halve and cover the bottom."
"This has become everyone's favorite birthday cake, and I find that I judge all other cheesecakes or german chocolate cakes against this. It's fantastic."
"This recipe was very good. It took a while to bake,cool,and frost. My husband said it was worth the wait!"
"Hats off to the amazing person who comes up with this kind of recipe. My family loves cheesecakes and German chocolate cake, put them together and I had a great hit. I make it alot."
"This is a very easy cake to make and it is a hit with everyone."
"I love this Cake! I made it once for a potluck we were having at work, and it was a smash! German chocolate cake with Coconut pecan frosting is my favorite and this is now my favorite, my husband made it for me for my birthday, and it will be my Birthday cake next year! Takes a lot of eggs, but I can handle that!"
"My husband wanted a German Chocolate cake and I found this one. Made it and had my family try it and there were like you need to make this for the holiday. So I made a total of two cakes. Follow the recipe as listed and it came out perfectly. This is now the only German Chocolate cake I will make.... Have gotten request to make as birthday cakes in 2012..Wonderful.."
"Love this cake....Family and friends always asking me to bake it."
"I've been making this excellent cake since the late 1980s when I got the recipe from a co-worker. It is a hit wherever you take it. Just be sure you have plenty of eggs on hand (it requires 10 eggs -- 3 for the German Chocolate cake mix, 4 for the cheesecake layer, and 3 egg yolks for the frosting). It's an easy recipe, but give yourself plenty of time for the cake cooling and the frosting cooling!"
"My Mom is a huge fan of German Chocolate but I wanted to mix it up a little for her Birthday so I made this recipe. Instant Favorite!! I used 2 round pans and made it a layer cake. I cheated and used a store bought frosting. It looked awesome when you cut into it and you could see the layers of chocolate, cheesecake, and frosting. I used whole pecans as a decoration around the top for that extra flare. This cake was so moist and rich I will definitely be making it again."
"I made it for a friend's birthday and she and all the guests loved it! I will definitely make this cake again, I would like to try it without the cream cheese layer next time and see how it turns out."
"This cheesecake is excellent. I bake and take it to all get togethers. Everyone loves it."
"What issue is this recipe in?"
"Make this recipe on the regular. Everyone loves it!"
"I made this recipe yesterday and just loved it. I'm going to try it with another flavor cake mix and frosting. This ones a keeper."
"I have made this several times and everybody loves it!"
"I'm German! So I like a lot of German things!"
"This cheesecake is really good! My older sister made it and it was gone the next morning!:)Anna"