German Chocolate Cheesecake Squares Recipe
When people ask about my all-time favorite recipe, I have a hard time deciding. But this recipe is definitely tops among sweet.—Jerry Minerich, Westminster, Colorado
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 cup of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; gradually add cocoa and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown; cool.
- 4. In a saucepan, combine first four topping ingredients; cook over low heat until thick, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts. Spread over cooled cake. Chill at least 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC