German Chocolate Caramel Bars Recipe
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cake mix and oats; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup. Stir egg into remaining oat mixture (mixture will be crumbly).
- 2. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth; spread over crust. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, oats, butter and reserved oat mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until firm before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 148 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for German Chocolate Caramel Bars
"These bars are yummy! The only thing different I did was after I spread the filling on the crust, I sprinkled on some chocolate chips before adding the topping."
"I made these bars will become a family favorite. Easy and not overly sweet."
"I get at least one recipe request every time I take these cookies to a church potluck. The caramel and cream cheese filling is a winner.Hazel Baldner, Austin, MinnesotaView this recipe now"