I get at least one recipe request every time I take these cookies to a church potluck. The caramel and cream cheese filling is a winner. —Hazel Baldner, Austin, Minnesota
Featured In: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine cake mix and oats; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup. Stir egg into remaining oat mixture (mixture will be crumbly).
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth; spread over crust. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, oats, butter and reserved oat mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until firm before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as German Chocolate Caramel bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p116
Reviews for German Chocolate Caramel Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 18, 2011
"These bars are yummy! The only thing different I did was after I spread the filling on the crust, I sprinkled on some chocolate chips before adding the topping."
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2008
"I made these bars will become a family favorite. Easy and not overly sweet."